Login Register

Ashbourne dad of two gives thanks to paramedics who saved his life in horror crash

By Ashbourne News Telegraph  |  Posted: June 12, 2014

Comments (0)

A ASHBOURNE father of two has paid tribute to the paramedics who saved his life more than two years ago.

David Marks crashed into a lamppost at more than 70mph when his motorbike skidded on an oil patch.

The 41-year-old - who was a director at Derby train-maker Bombardier - suffered two cardiac arrests, broke 18 bones, suffered a severe brain injury and was in hospital for six months.

His recovery has been tough and long but David is finally well enough to say thank-you to the paramedics who saved his life, following the accident near Kegworth Island in October 2011.

Due to his injuries, David - who is married with two daughters, aged nine and 14 - cannot remember the events following the collision. He had to learn to walk and talk again.

David said: “I need to say thank you to the ambulance crews.

"Their quick-thinking and skilful response saved me and means my family are eating dinner with me this weekend, not visiting my grave.

"I was in hospital for six months but I am here alive and breathing, which is the most important thing."

David said the crash had been traumatic for himself and his family "and still is".

He said: “There are a lot of things I can’t do. To look at me, you wouldn't know anything is wrong but I have still have problems with by balance, walking and talking.

"I have pins and needles all the time on my left side, plus my right hand, as well as double vision and weakness on my right side.

"Despite all of the things I miss, I am here, alive with my family, thanks to the work of all who helped me on that day."

David is writing a book documenting his journey to recovery. He said: "I have a new perspective on life and truly appreciate the meaning of the word emergency.

"I think my book is useful for people in hospital and ambulance staff who don't get to see the recovery of their patients after they have taken them to hospital."

First on the scene was Leicestershire paramedic Steve Church, in a fast-response car.

He said: "When I got to David, he was in cardiac arrest and both lungs were punctured.

"It's a really great feeling to know my years of training and experience helped to bring him back to life, so he can spend time with his family.

"When you receive such positive feedback from a patient, you feel complete elation and delight that you can make such a difference to someone’s life."

Colleague John Norfolk, who also attended the crash scene, said: "David has made the most remarkable recovery. It means an awful lot to see him."

Read more from Ashbourne News Telegraph

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters