As summer draws to a close, so does the natural broad bean season, which typically runs from June to mid-September. However, that doesn’t mean this vegetable can’t be enjoyed all year round, as canned varieties can be just as nutritious as fresh, thanks to the goodness being locked in during the canning process.
Broad beans are a rich source of dietary fibre, which is vital in reducing blood cholesterol and includes thiamine, which helps the body to turn carbohydrates, fat and protein into energy. It also contains riboflavin – great for maintaining healthy skin and giving the immune system a boost.
Over the coming weeks we're going to share a few delicious recipes using broad beans from Canned Food UK. Let's start with their Simple Salad.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1 bag plain long-grain microwave rice
198g can sweet corn, drained
300g can broad beans, drained
410g can petit pois, drained
215g can butter beans, drained
250g baby plum tomatoes, halved
1 large red pepper
1 tbsp capers, crushed
2 cooked chicken breasts
For the dressing
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Open, drain and rinse all the canned ingredients
2. Cut the red pepper into long thin strips, skin the cooked chicken and cut into small chunks
3. Place the rice in the microwave and cook as per the instructions on the packet
4. Then place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.
5. Place the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard in a small bowl and whisk to form a smooth dressing.
How to serve: Add the dressing to the salad, toss well and serve.
Nutritional value per serving
Protein: 46 g
Carbohydrates: 101 g
Fat: 4 g
Canned Food UK has plenty of quick, easy and inexpensive recipes available for free. Visit their website or download Canned Food UK’s free u.can cook iPhone app, which features more than 90 delicious recipes, plus several step-by step video demonstrations featuring celebrity chef James Martin.