THIS recipe tastes so good it’s worth cooking extra vegetables just to make this for brunch the next day! It doesn’t really matter what green veg you use - peas, beans, broccoli or cabbage all work well.
Preparion time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
You will need:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
600g mashed GreenVale potatoes
150g cooked carrots, diced
250g left over green vegetables, chopped if large
Poached eggs and grilled bacon
1. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan, add the leeks and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes until they are softened.
2. Add all the other vegetables to the pan and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
3. Cook the vegetables, stirring and turning until they are hot - they will bubble and squeak!
4. Settle the vegetable mixture into a flat layer and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the base is golden. Slide the mixture out onto a plate, place the pan on top and flip it over so that the uncooked base is facing down. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the base is golden.
5. To serve, slip the cake out onto a board and cut into wedges. Serve in wedges topped with a poached egg and serve with grilled bacon.