This is the last of our Broad bean recipes from Canned Food UK so remember to make the most of this great vegetable which helps boost your immune system and is a rich source of dietary fibre.
Even though the natural broad bean season is now over, canned varieties can be found all year round and are just as fresh and nutritious.
Vegetable Cous Cous with Seared Cod
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 x 200g can tomatoes
50g / 2oz soft brown sugar
2 tsp dark soy sauce grated rind and juice of 1 lime
½ tbsp ground allspice
4 thick cod fillets with skin
200g cous cous
1 x 300g can broad beans, drained
1 x 300g can green beans, drained
Handful coriander leaves
Noodles or rice, to serve
1. Heat 2 tsp olive oil and cook the onion until soft but not coloured. Add the tomatoes and 1 tsp sugar and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
2. To make the sauce for the cod; mix together the soy sauce, lime rind and juice, allspice and remaining sugar in a small bowl.
3. Place the cod skin side down on a foil lined grill pan and grill for 1 minute. Turn skin side up and grill for 1 minute. Spoon the soy sauce over the cod and return under the grill for 2-3 minutes until the skin is crisp and golden.
4. Place the cous cous in a large bowl with 300ml / 1 / 2 pint boiling water and 1 tbsp olive oil. Season and stir once, cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Fluff up the cous cous and stir in the cooled tomatoes, broad beans and petit pois.
5. Season with plenty of sea salt and black pepper and sprinkle with the pine nuts.
How to serve: Serve the cod on a bed of the cous cous.
Nutritional Value per Serving
Saturated Fat: 1g
Canned Food UK has plenty of quick, easy and inexpensive recipes available for free. Visit their website or download Canned Food UK’s free u.can cook iPhone app, which features more than 90 delicious recipes, plus several step-by step video demonstrations featuring celebrity chef James Martin.