DELIGHT your tastebuds and satisfy your inner gourmet with this indulgent cupcake recipe using smooth Lindt chocolate.
You will need:
For the cupcakes:
260g Lindt cooking 70 per cent chocolate
80g caster sugar
170g butter, unsalted
4 eggs, each separated
114g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cream of tartar
For the frosting:
330g Lindt Cooking 70 per cent chocolate
20g cocoa powder
45ml milk or Frangelico
340g butter, unsalted at room temperature
For the cupcakes:
1. Line a muffin tray with paper cups.
2. Melt chocolate and butter by placing into a bowl sitting over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, as that might burn the chocolate.
3. Stir chocolate every once in a while then set aside to cool once melted.
4. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the sugar until light and pale.
5. Next, whisk the egg whites in an electric mixer until they form soft peaks. Add the cream of tartar, which helps create a stiffer egg white, and continue to whisk until stiff.
6. Gently mix the cooler chocolate mixture into the egg yolks and sugar mixture.
7. Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently fold into the chocolate mixture.
8. Carefully fold in the egg whites and divide mixture into baking cups. Fill approximately ¾ full. It’s best to use a piping bag or an ice cream scoop to do this.
9. Place in the oven at 165 degrees and bake for approx 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
10.Take out and place on a cooling rack.
For the frosting
1. Melt the chocolate.
2. Mix the cocoa powder with milk or Frangelico and make a smooth paste. Best add liquid little by little to avoid lumps.
3. Place butter in the bowl of your electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Whip up until light and fluffy.
4. Mix the cocoa powder mixture and the melted chocolate.
5. Whip again and scrape down sides.
6. Work with the frosting at room temperature.
Finishing the cupcakes
7. Place the frosting in a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe a large rosette on each cupcake.
8. Drizzle with some chocolate sauce and garnish with chocolate curls or other.
9. These are best enjoyed on the same day but can keep in an airtight container.