ONE of the most re-visited subjects of Memory Lane is the once majestic Osmaston Manor. A lost treasure that was once a significant part of the Ashbourne landscape and the stateley home that dominated the delightful Osmaston Park.
These pictures, which were lent to us by News Telegraph reader Rhona Hunt, and belonged to her father-in-law Ken Hunt, show pictures of the inside of the historic mansion.
The postcards show the grandure of the rooms within the manor and a few of the treasures that were contained within the walls at the time.
Of particular note is the huge number of hunting trophies within the front hall, smoke room and museum corridor.
In the early 19th Century the Osmaston Estate was inherited by Francis Wright, the son of coal and iron tycoons from the booming industrial revolution.
Francis married his cousin Selina, the daughter of Sir Henry FitzHerbert, from the nearby Tissington Estate and he started building Osmaston Manor in 1846, taking four years to complete.
Osmaston Manor was designed to look similar to Tissington Hall and had 70 rooms, a bake-house, washhouse and a brew-house as well as a huge central tunnel which carried smoke from the house to a 150ft chimney in the garden.
It was sold in 1888 to Sir Andrew Walker but had to be demolished in 1964 by Sir Ian Walker whose family still manages the estate.
Today the site that was once in the shadow of Osmaston Manor is a popular wedding venue.