TRAVELLERS moved back to a cricket pitch in a village near Ashbourne weeks after two camps were dispersed by police.
Around a dozen caravans set up on the cricket pitch in Sudbury on Tuesday last week and were issued notice by bailiffs enlisted by the National Trust, which owns the land, and ordered to leave.
Villager Geoff Hodson told the News Telegraph there had been ‘no trouble at all’ since the travellers arrived.
He said: “It started with four caravans earlier in the week, then five, and on Wednesday they all started coming in their droves.
“Obviously gipsies have a reputation and a lot of people in the village are quite wary about them being here but we’ve had absolutely no trouble from them so far.
“You get to know if anything happens very quickly living in this village and I’ve not been told of any problems.
“This is the first year the pitch hasn’t been used for cricket so it’s not been cut and has become overgrown, which I think is a bit of an invitation for the travellers.
“Everyone would be pleased to see them removed as this is an idyllic village and we could really do without this.
“In the past trouble has followed when travellers have moved so, as soon as they do, everyone’s automatically worried.”
A Derbyshire Police spokesman said: “We received a call on Tuesday morning reporting that travellers had moved onto land at Sudbury Hall.
“Officers have visited the site several times over since this report was made and liaised with the travellers and staff at the hall. We will continue to monitor the situation.”
Jenny Layfield, general manager at the National Trust’s Sudbury Hall and Museum of Childhood, said: “Bailiffs have served notice on the group requiring them to vacate the site by 11am on Friday 30th August.
“We have been working closely with local police who will be monitoring the situation.”