Living in the UK, you can never guarantee first-rate weather for your wedding day. Although a wet wedding doesn't always mean disaster, it's best to prepare for the possibility. Good preparation paired with a fantastic photographer can make everyone wish it rained on their wedding day as the end result can be just enchanting.
A few top tips for helping you to prepare for a wet wedding:
- Purchase colourful wellington boots. Preferably colours that will go with your wedding theme, these can look great on your wedding photos.
- Have some umbrellas to hand: I love parasol style ones that can be used in the rain, and they look fabulous in photos.
- Make sure your make up is built to last. Speak with your makeup artist and ensure they use a primer to help it last all day.
- Speak with your photographer, make sure they are also prepared for the weather and see examples of previous wet wedding photos.
- Investigate other indoor areas that photos can be taken at your venue.
I spent some time talking to Steve from Steve Sutton Photography to find out a bit more about making those rainy wedding photos fabulous:
“Bride’s never want it to rain on their wedding day, so the key for me is to stay upbeat and positive that we will still get some great images. They really do need to think about this prior to booking a venue though as some venues are amazing inside and out so we never have an issue.”
Steve also makes a very valid point that it’s very rare for it to rain all day so at some point he can usually get them out for a few shots.
I believe one of the key points to ensuring you get great pictures at a wet wedding is to make sure you have picked a great photographer. Steve has been shooting weddings for 18 years and always ensures he is prepared for all circumstances. I would always recommend my brides do their homework when picking a photographer to make sure they get someone really fabulous.
I asked Steve for his top tip for getting a great photo: “If it does look like it's going to rain on the wedding day and the bride is up for going outside she just needs some funky wellies and a cool brolly and we can have fun with the weather rather than the weather spoil the day.”
Have an enchanting day!