CLUBS, societies, businesses and organisations are getting ready to raise a mug to a national charity as part of the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning.
A variety of fund-raising get-togethers have been arranged, on Friday, as part of Macmillan Cancer Support’s annual World’s Biggest Coffee Morning.
The event began in 1990 when a local fundraising committee held a coffee morning for people to meet over a cup of coffee with the proceeds going to Macmillan.
One year later the coffee morning became a national event with more than 2,500 people signing up to host an event.
Since 1990 the event has raised more than £60 million for the charity, £10 million in 2011 alone.
A number of coffee morning events are taking place in the town for residents to get involved in by donating or even holding their own coffee morning.
Among the coffee mornings in the Ashbourne area will be an event at St Oswald’s church, from 10.30am until 3pm.
For more information visit www.macmillan.org.uk/maketime ● Blore Hall, Ilam, will be hosting a Macmillan coffee morning on Friday, and staff are hoping to top the £800 they raised last year.
● Staff at Chelmorton Institute will be setting up stalls and a grand raffle for their coffee morning on Friday, from 9.30am until noon.
● The Royal British Legion Headquarters in Brassington are hosting a coffee morning which includes a tombola and a raffle on Friday, from 3pm until 5pm. For more information call Jean on 01629 540380.
● St Oswald’s Church, Ashbourne will offer tea, coffee, ploughman’s lunches and a range of entertainment, including a tombola and craft activities for children when they host a coffee morning on Friday from 10.30am until 3pm. For more information contact the Parish Office on 01332 343052.
● Year 6 pupils and staff from Marston Montgomery Primary school are holding a coffee morning from 9.15am until 11.30am on Friday, they will be offering coffee and cake in aid of Macmillan.
● Staff at Edlaston and Wyaston Social Committee are holding a coffee morning between 10am and noon, there is a £2 admission charge which includes tea, coffee and biscuits, and they are also offering the opportunity to take part in a bring and buy stall.
● On Friday, October 5 from 10am until 11.30am, pupils from Longford Primary school will be hosting a coffee morning with a £1 admission charge which includes games, a raffle, a bring and buy stall and a cake stall. For more information call 01335 330364.
● A coffee morning is being held from 10.30am until 12.30pm at Greystones in Yewtree Lane, Bradley. Rita Curl will be hosting the event, which will feature a cake stall, jam sales and a raffle. To find out more call 01335 370354.
● Bradley Primary School will also be playing host to a Macmillan Coffee Morning, this time from 9am until 11am. Admission is free and there will be a raffle on offer among the activities.
Call 01335 370292